Learn Electronics 5 - Shopping List Update | Homebrew Electronics

Got a few more items in for Chapter 5 from various sources.


First, I purchased 10 germanium diodes and a single piezoelectric earphone from SciToys as the author recommended. Since I was paying for shipping, I ordered 10 diodes instead of just 1... I may never use them but they're not that expensive and I know a few people (including my dad) who are working through the book and I may part with a couple.

I couldn't believe I couldn't find these items locally - no Radio Shack that I called carried either the germanium diodes or the earphone and the few electronics shops I called carried the earphone but it was $10.00 and no germanium diodes.

Note: These items are NOT included in the Components Pack 2 - as a matter of fact, I'm finding quite a few things in the final experiments in Chapter 5 that are not included with Pack 2. (This isn't an error - Pack 2 states it is specifically for Chapters 3 and 4.) I'm trying to capture all the specialty items required for Chapter 5 and will see about making one final Chapter 5 shopping list that contains those items NOT found in Pack 1 or Pack 2. For example, Experiment 28 recommends a 4700 microfarad capacitor but the shopping list specifies 2000 microfarad minimum... if you're like me, you probably don't have any of these in your possession. Again, I'll try and go through Chapter 5 when done and pull together a complete list of specialty items.

Also, I picked up a plastic box for $1.50 at The Container Store... I was in the neighborhood and remembered that I needed one for Experiment 29.

From SciToys (www.scitoys.com)
10DIODES $7.86
EARPHONE $6.84

(Those are the actual part numbers above with the prices.)

0 comments